AMD FSR 2.0 Mod Now Available For Red Dead Redemption 2 On PC
A new mod adds AMD FSR 2.0 support to Rockstar’s Red Dead Redemption 2, giving more resolution scaling options to those who are in need of better performance on PC. This largely benefits those who don’t play on an Nvidia RTX based graphics card, and, therefore, don’t have access to DLSS.
The mod replaces Red Dead Redemption 2’s DLSS implementation with AMD’s FideltyFX Super Resolution 2.0, the same way that PotatoOfDoom’s FSR 2.0 mod worked. It should be highly beneficial for those with weaker PCs that struggle to run Red Dead Redemption 2 at the native display resolution on non-RTX gpus. The performance gain with FSR 2.0 are similar to that of DLSS, all while retaining good image quality.
The mod may be downloaded from this page. Note that you may encounter some bugs and errors, given that this is an unofficial implementation of FSR 2.0. Because PotatoOfDoom’s Cyberpunk FSR 2.0 mod provides the foundation for this mod’s implementation, updates regarding FSR 2.0 related issues will mostly be handled by him and the rest of the open-source community. The source code for this project is available here.
How To Install Red Dead Redemption 2 FSR 2.0 Mod
Instructions on how to install and uninstall the FSR 2.0 mod for RDR2 can be seen below.
- Make sure you’re using DX12 instead of Vulkan, or the mod won’t function correctly
- Make sure asynchComputeEnabled is set to ‘False’ in the ‘system.xml’ file found in the Documents\Rockstar Games\Red Dead Redemption 2\Settings\ folder
- Download the latest version of the mod
- Unzip and move the contents to the directory containing the RDR2 .exe file
- Run RDR2 and enabled DLSS, which should now have FSR 2.0 in effect instead
- Remove nvngx.dll, d3d11.dll, ffx_fsr2_api_dx12_x64.dll and ffx_fsr2_api_x64.dll from the directory containing the RDR2 .exe file
Troubleshooting RDR2 FSR 2.0 Errors
- Social Club error: close the game and restart. It may take up to 3 attempts for the error to go away
- Error MessageBox FFFFFF: make sure you’re using an up-to-date version of RDR2, and that you followed the mod installation steps outlined above correctly
- Black Screen / Crashes: Make sure asynchComputeEnabled is set to ‘False’ in the ‘system.xml’ file found in the Documents\Rockstar Games\Red Dead Redemption 2\Settings\ folder
- Option For DLSS Not Appearing In Settings: make sure that you followed the mod installation steps outlined above correctly, and that you’re running an up-to-date version of RDR2
- Game Looks Bad / Blurry With FSR 2.0 Mod Enabled: reduce or disable TAA sharpening and set AF to 16x
If issues not listed here occur, try disabling Windows Memory Integrity in your Windows settings. Refer to the Windows 11/10 guide here, as the mod may be conflicting with Rockstar‘s anti-cheat system.