Square Enix has finally released the next-generation patch for Marvel’s Avengers and sadly it doesn’t appear to utilize the PS5 version to the fullest.
In a new analysis by ElAnalistaDeBits, we have our first comparison between the different versions of the game. This patch was deployed just yesterday so obviously, there is room to improve it in the future. Still, despite the promise of ray-tracing in the very first mention of the PS5 and Xbox Series X, there is none to be found within this update.
The difference between the PS5 and Xbox Series X is much bigger in the performance mode where the resolution is dynamic. The frame rate is better on the PS5 but the resolution scaling is aggressive, going as low as 1080p and usually hovering at 1440p. This is different from the Xbox Series X which holds more than 50% advantage in the dynamic resolution scaling when running the game at 60 FPS mode.
- The 3 versions have 2 display modes: 4K / 30FPS (1440p on S Series) and some improved settings or variable 4K at 60FPS (1080p on S Series).
- 4K / 30FPS mode has slight improvement in reflections, textures, particles, draw distance and shadows.
- In 4K / 30FPS mode they all experience some small drops in resolution, although they keep the target set most of the time, especially Series X.
- In FPS mode, for the first few minutes of the game, the PS5 resolution varies between 3840×2160 and 2560x1440p, but as soon as we get to the Quinjet and start missions with more open and loaded spaces, the usual resolution becomes dynamic 1920x2160p, while on X Series it stays at dynamic 3840x1836p. In this case, there is a clear advantage in the Xbox version.
- In FPS mode, Series X maintains a higher draw distance.
- Slightly better loading times on PS5. – The framerate is quite stable in both modes, slightly better on PS5.
The load times are slightly faster on the PS5, however, overall the Xbox Series X is a clear winner for this brand new version of Marvel’s Avengers.
Marvel’s Avengers will get exclusive content on the PS5 with Spider-Man. The game is available now on PS4, PS5, Xbox Series, and PC.