Final Fantasy XIV Endwalker Wraps 2021 As The Year’s Highest Rated Game
Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker is one of the highest-rated games of the year 2021 according to Metacritic and Opencritic.
Endwalker is the latest expansion to one of the most popular MMOs released by Square Enix. It culminates a major story arc that has been ongoing for a while now and manages to tie the narrative nicely in a satisfying conclusion.
Critics have showered heaps of praise on the game including our review, which makes it one of the highest-rated games of the year.
Now that 2021 is done and dusted, we have a cumulative list of games that have been rated by critics in 2021. Among them, Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker regains the top spot. While it is technically an expansion, the story portion is almost the length of a full game.
Here are the top-rated games of the year 2021 according to Opencritic.
- Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker (PS4, PS5, PC)
- Forza Horizon 5 (Xbox One, Xbox Series, PC)
- Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury (Nintendo Switch)
- Bustafellows (PC, Nintendo Switch)
- Psychonauts 2 (Xbox One, Xbox Series, PS4, PC)
- Swarm (Oculus)
- It Takes Two (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series)
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5)
- OPUS: Echoes of Starsong (PC)
- Monster Hunter Rise (Nintendo Switch) – Coming Soon to PC
Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker has received almost universal praise from critics. It has a review aggerate score of 93 on both OpenCritic and Metacritic out of 100. This means that the game has averaged 9+ scores from the majority of the critics.
The only other major new release in 2021 that had such a high critics score is Forza Horizon 5 from Playground Games. It lies just behind FFXIV: Endwalker with a 92 average score.