Horizon Forbidden West PS5 Update 1.17 Adds VRR And 120Hz Support
Horizon Forbidden West update 1.17 has just dropped, and it brings support for VRR and 120Hz on PS5, among other improvements and fixes across both the PS4 and PS5 versions.
Those playing on supported TVs and monitors can now benefit from smoother and more responsive gameplay at frame rates above 60 frames per second. Update 1.17 also adds a new Balanced mode that caps the frame rate to 40 fps while improving graphical quality over the regular performance mode at 60 fps.
Much like with other supported PS5 games, VRR is engaged between a range of 48 to 120Hz. Frame rate dips below 48 frames per second will exhibit visible judder. It is currently unknown whether Guerrilla Games has included support for Low Frame Rate Compensation (LFC), which would allow frame rates drops below 48 fps to also be covered by VRR. Previously, Insomniac Games added LFC support when updating both Spider-man games as well as Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart to work with VRR.
Horizon Forbidden West Update 1.17 Patch Notes
The full patch notes for Horizon Forbidden West update 1.17 are as follows:
NEW FEATURES (PlayStation 5)
- Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) and High Refresh Rate (HFR) support
- VRR improves dynamic resolution scaling on 60Hz
- VRR & HFR targets a refresh rate between 60Hz and 120Hz
- New “Balanced” Graphics Mode introducing 40Hz for supported displays
We are currently looking into several issues reported by the community. Please note that these issues are not yet fixed in this patch, but our teams are aware of them, and they’re being investigated.
FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS
Performance and Stability
- Multiple crash fixes.
- Fixed an issue in Main Quest “The Wings of the Ten” where the objective “Defeat Regalla” was not updating.
- Fixed an issue in Main Quest “The Wings of the Ten” where the “Sunwings” might be missing during the objective “Override a Sunwing”.
- Fixed an issue in Main Quest “All That Remains” where the cinematic with Tilda after the gallery might not start.
- Fixed an issue in Main Quest “The Broken Sky” where sometimes Dekka would be behind Hekarro’s throne during the objective “Talk to Dekka”.
- Fixed an issue in Side Quest “Shadow in the West” where the objective “Kill Vezreh and His Machine” was not updating.
- Fixed an issue in Side Quest “The Gate Of The Vanquished” where the objective “Defeat Yarra/Drakka” was not updating.
- Fixed an issue in Errand “Nights of Lights” where collecting the “Gizmo” earlier would block progress.
- Fixed issues in Relic Ruin “The Stillsands” where the activity would be blocked.
- Fixed an issue where the “Dreadwing” would remain cloaked when knocked down.
- Fixed an issue where “Apex Clawstrider Hearts” would be placed in “Valuables to Sell” in the inventory
- Fixed an issue where “Elemental Arrows” from fully upgraded bows would destroy canisters instead of detonating them.
- Fixed an issue where using “Elite Precision Arrows” with “Iriv’s Downfall” would not deal additional damage for enemies in “Brittle” state.
- Updated text for selecting “Ultra Hard” difficulty to clarify that the setting cannot be changed.
- Removed exclamation point icon when all skills have been unlocked and skill points are available.
- Fixed an issue where “Desert Bird Wing” could not be looted from birds.
- Fixed an issue where trophy “All Machine Types Scanned” would not unlock, if scanning remaining machines on NG+
- Fixed an issue where changing the “Crouch/Slide” button to R1 would make it unusable.
- Multiple localization and subtitles fixes and improvements.
In addition, Guerrilla Games mentioned that it is currently looking into several issues reported by the community. It was added that these issues are not yet fixed in the current patch, but the studio is well aware of them, and they’re being investigated.