Evolution in Pokémon Sword and Shield is mostly simple but there are some special evolutions that need a specific item or method for Pokémon.
In this guide, we will tell you about the special evolution of Pokemon in Pokemon Sword and Shield. As we all know that the natural way to evolve your Pokemon is by leveling them up, but some Pokemon need special requirements to evolve into their new form.
Read More: Pokémon Sword and Shield New Game: How To Start a New Save
Some Pokemon require special evolution stones to evolve. Some Pokemon evolve by running in the same place, and some evolve by taking a specific amount of damage. These special types of Pokemon require something different to change their forms.
How To Complete All Pokémon Sword and Shield Special Evolutions
We have made a list of all the methods required for unique evolution in Pokemon Sword and Shield so that you can fill your Pokedex without too much difficulty.
Stone-Based Pokémon Evolutions
Here’s the list of all the Pokemon that need special evolution stones to evolve into their new form.
- Charjabug: Thunder Stone
- Clefairy: Moon Stone
- Cottonee: Sun Stone
- Eevee: Fire Stone, Ice Stone, Leaf Stone, Thunder Stone, Water Stone
- Galarian Darumaka: Ice Stone
- Gloom: Leaf Stone, Sun Stone
- Growlithe: Fire Stone
- Helioptile: Sun Stone
- Kirlia: Dawn Stone
- Lampent: Dusk Stone
- Lombre: Water Stone
- Minccino: Shiny Stone
- Nuzleaf: Leaf Stone
- Pikachu: Thunder Stone
- Roselia: Shiny Stone
- Snorunt: Dawn Stone
- Togetic: Shiny Stone
- Vulpix: Fire Stone
Read More: Pokémon Sword and Shield Server Status: How To Check If Servers Are Down
Item-Based Pokémon Evolutions
Some Pokemon don’t only need special items to evolve but they require specific conditions with certain items.
- Applin: Sweet Apple, Tart Apple
- Milcery: several items plus spinning
- Sinistea: Cracked Pot, Chipped Pot
- Zacian: changes into the second form when given a Rusted Sword or Rusted Shield.
Trade-Based Pokémon Evolutions
Few Pokemon are only able to change their forms when they are traded with another Pokemon. You will have to trade them back in order to get that Pokemon in your Pokedex.
- Dusclops: needs to be holding a Reaper Cloth
- Feebas: needs to be holding a Prism Scale
- Karrablast: needs to be traded for a Shelment
- Onix: needs to be holding a Metal Coat
- Rhydon: needs to be holding a Protector
- Shelmet: needs to be traded for a Karrablast
- Spritzee: needs to holding a Sachet
- Swirlix: needs to holding a Whipped Cream
High Happiness Pokémon Evolutions
There are some Pokemon that need you to make them happy to evolve them. If you want to change their form, you will have to make them happy enough so that their hidden stat reaches the requirement to level up for their next form.
- Budew: during the day only
- Eevee: day for Espeon, night for Umbreon
- Type: Null
- Riolu: during the day only
- Snom: during the night only
Read More: Pokémon Sword and Shield Money Farming: How To Earn Money Fast
There are many types of Pokemon, one of which is known as Fossil Pokemon. These are unique types of Pokemon that are not made through a living Pokemon. Specific Fossil combinations are required in order to bring them to life.
- Arctovish (water/ice): Fossilized Fish + Fossilized Dino
- Arctozolt (electric/ice): Fossilized Bird + Fossilized Dino
- Dracovish (water/dragon): Fossilized Fish + Fossilized Drake
- Dracozolt (electric/dragon): Fossilized Bird + Fossilized Drake
Pokémon Sword and Shield Unique Evolution
Some Pokemon have unique evolution and they require specific attacks, locations or orders to evolve to their next form.
- Clobbus: level up once it knows the Taunt move
- Farfetch’d: get three critical hits in a single battle
- Galarian Linoone: evolves after level 35 when leveled up at night
- Sliggoo: evolves after level 50 when leveled up during rain or fog in the overworld
- Toxel: at level 30, then based on its nature it’ll take one of two forms
- Yamask: take 49 damage then head to the Dusty Bowl.
Pokémon Sword and Shield Shiny Pokémon
Shiny Pokemon are those Pokemon which are not obtained by evolving. These Pokemon don’t have any different stats, but they are listed as special Pokemon because of their different skin colors.