Rumor: Avowed Has a Bigger World Than Skyrim, Advanced Character Creation, and More
Avowed is a brand new AAA RPG from Obsidian Entertainment. A new leak has shared some details on its scope and gameplay features.
Avowed was first revealed at Xbox Games Showcase. It was previously hinted that Obsidian Entertainment is working on a brand new AAA RPG in addition to Grounded and The Outer Worlds. This has turned out to be Avowed, which is aiming to be the Skyrim spiritual successor for Obsidian like The Outer Worlds is to Fallout.
Avowed is set in the world of Eora, which is the same world that is used by Obsidian Entertainment’s Pillars of Eternity. This latest leak comes from ResetERA user Sponger who had previously given some details on this AAA RPG before it was officially revealed.
Here are the details as shared by the leaker. Take them with a grain of salt as things could change, and this is just a rumor for now since there are no details shared on the project aside from a cinematic trailer and the confirmation that it is set in the world of Eora.
- fully open world, much much larger than Skyrim (very differently “larger”, more proper word would be “denser” and “more contrasted” at the same time)
- primarily set in the The Living Lands region of Eora (not sure if it’ll go like that as explicit later on, but that was starting point)
- big focus on world-reactivity, lighting and next-gen AI systems and physics (special focus on physics with magic systems – have no clue what would that mean)
- realtime whether system (don’t have full details but fog is very important as realtime element, rivers will have specific micro physics systems regarding this)
- very advanced character creation tool (didn’t get more info)
- mod support (for now PC is/will be very dominant as creation tool, but I’ll be playable fully on Xbox)
- very large number of fractions but very different approach than with Skyrim
- you’ll be able to have companions (different than Outer Worlds)
- storyset: fight against incoming threat of tyranny (independent from previous stories)
- game has bosses planned and some of them are very very large
- Gods will have special say in the game
- great focus on iconic landmarks, statues and buildings
- two large cities planned with many smaller ones with strong focus on contrasting wild-areas, rivers, mountains and desolated areas (yes, you’ll be able to swim)
- fully respecting POE creatures lore with new additions
- dynamic presentation of dialogue
- for now idea is to keep “you can kill everyone in the game” option
- around 100 people are on the project for 2y (smaller number for 7m of preproduction), in total 2y 7m
- full production is already a thing
- team will still grow
- target date: late 2022/early 2023
Since this is a rumor for now and the leaker himself says the game is currently in development, some of the features could change in time for its launch. That said, it sounds like an incredibly ambitious AAA RPG, and knowing the quality of work output by Obsidian Entertainment, has the potential to be great.
Avowed is currently announced for Xbox Series X and Windows 10.