Spelunky 2 has a day one update already out that patches the game to version 1.02. Here are the full patch notes for this update.
Spelunky 2 is a sequel to the cult hit original game that was released for PS Vita, PC, and PS4. While the sequel is not out until tomorrow, there are two updates already released for it. The download size of these updates is 350 MB so it is not a large patch to download for an indie game.
Developer Mossmouth had disabled the daily challenges, leaderboards, and online until the launch of the game. Another update should be released shortly before the launch that should enable them again.
Following changes have been done:
This follows the first update that added these features.
Here’s a description of the game taken from the Steam.
- A Bigger World with all new areas, monsters, traps, and items!
- An Extra Dimension is added by allowing players to access a second layer behind the normal playfield. The second layer might contain treasure rooms, hidden passages, and other special places.
- Multiple Routes Through the Game will add variety and give players more ways to personalize a run.
- Find and Ride Mounts (like turkeys!) that have special abilities. Enemies may ride mounts, as well!
- New NPCs that you can help, hurt, or ignore… to make each run feel even more like a unique story.
- Variations and Changes to Classic Spelunky Concepts like shops and ghosts that will make veteran players rethink their strategies.
- Improved Liquid Physics allow water and lava to move and pour realistically, which drastically affects the playfield (and looks cool)
- Deadly Poison and Curses can be inflicted on players and enemies alike.
- Build a Permanent Home at Base Camp as you do runs and explore the caves.
- Improved Lighting and Special Effects are paired with richer visual and audio design.
- Deeper Mysteries that may require a community effort to unravel.
- Possibly More Eggplants
Spelunky 2 will be available to play on PS4 and Steam on Septemeber 15.