Nintendo Switch Sales Hit 79.87M, Generate Record Revenue For Nintendo
Nintendo Switch had a record-breaking year in 2020 with not just hardware but software as well. It has now sold through 79.87 million units.
While the Switch is having massive success in Japan and on pace to outsell the Nintendo 3DS, it is also having an unprecedented level of success in the rest of the world. In fact, it is selling so well that it should outsell the Nintendo 3DS lifetime sales in the next quarter ending on March 31, 2021.
Nintendo has released their earnings report outlining the various sales of their software in addition to the hardware. They are on the verge of achieving the highest-ever revenue for a whole year after the crazy success of Nintendo Wii and DS. They might be able to set a new record if they keep the current trajectory of their sales and revenue and surpass even their best year under the success of the Nintendo Wii and DS.
They had forecasted the sales of the Nintendo Switch at 24 million by the end of their current fiscal year, but that has been revised and increased to 26.5 million due to the higher than expected success.
In addition to this, they have also updated the list of the best-selling games with new numbers. Animal Crossing New Horizons has now managed to sell more than 30 million units and the game is barely out for a year.
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 33.41 million
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 31.18 million
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 22.85 million
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 21.45 million
- Pokemon Sword / Pokemon Shield – 20.35 million
- Super Mario Odyssey – 20.23 million
- Super Mario Party – 13.82 million
- Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! / Pokemon: Let’s Go, Eevee! – 13.00 million
- Splatoon 2 – 11.90 million
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 9.82 million
Nintendo is still listing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild sequel, Bayonetta 3, and Metroid Prime 4 as games that are yet to get a release date, but they are likely still in development and could get an announcement later this year.