Ubisoft Pushes Generative AI for “Smarter NPCs” Amid Massive Losses and Project Cancellations

by Salal Awan

Ubisoft is expanding its investment in generative AI technology even as the company faces severe financial struggles, large operating losses, and multiple canceled projects.

In its latest FY2025-26 earnings report, Ubisoft outlined plans to accelerate AI integration across game development, describing the technology as a major part of the publisher’s long-term strategy. The company said its AI initiatives include “smarter NPCs and game worlds that can adapt to player behavior and react more dynamically in real time.”

According to Ubisoft, the technology is already being explored across multiple areas of development, ranging from “more intelligent bots supporting our QC teams” to broader gameplay systems powered by machine learning and generative AI tools.

The publisher also highlighted “Teammates,” which it described as Ubisoft’s “first playable Generative AI experience.” Ubisoft claims its internal La Forge research and development division has positioned the company at the forefront of AI-focused game development experimentation.

The aggressive AI push comes during one of the company’s most difficult financial periods in recent years. Ubisoft reported full-year net bookings of €1.525 billion, representing a 17.4% decline year-over-year. The company also posted a non-IFRS operating loss of €1.044 billion.

As part of a broader restructuring effort, Ubisoft confirmed that seven projects have been canceled while six others have been delayed following an internal portfolio review aimed at reducing costs and concentrating resources on fewer releases.

The publisher additionally reduced its workforce by approximately 1,200 employees compared to last year. Ubisoft stated it has already lowered its fixed cost base by roughly €325 million since FY2022-23 and is targeting €500 million in total savings by March 2028.

Despite the financial difficulties, Ubisoft said it remains confident in its future release pipeline. The company confirmed Assassin’s Creed Black Flag Resynced is scheduled to launch on July 9, 2026, while upcoming fiscal years are expected to feature new entries in the Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, and Ghost Recon franchises.

Ubisoft also expects Rainbow Six Siege to remain one of its major long-term growth drivers as the company continues expanding its live-service business strategy.

The publisher described FY2026-27 as the expected “low point” of its ongoing transformation plan before forecasting stronger performance in the following years. Still, Ubisoft’s growing reliance on generative AI is likely to intensify industry debate surrounding automation, creative development, and job security within game production.

You may also like